Degree in Education is one of the most common degree courses in Kenya. Several students who score between B plain and C+ end up pursuing this course because the entry requirements are low as compared to other courses.
In Kenya, the best universities to pursue a degree in education include the University of Nairobi, Kenyatta University, Maseno University, Moi University, Kabarak University, Daystar University,JKUAT and USIU.You can decide to pursue the program as a parallel student or as a regular student. If parallel program is your option, then the minimum entry qualification is a C+ and if it’s regular, each university has specified cut off points.
At Kenyatta University, these are admission requirements:
Bachelor of Education
Geography, C.R.E, Islamic Studies, Kiswahili, History, English, Business studies, Mathematics and Literature.
Mean grade of C+ (plus) at KCSE or equivalent with at least C+ (plus) or equivalent in two subjects of career choice
OR Mean grade of C (Plain) at KCSE or Division III at KCE or equivalent or one (1) Principal pass and one (1) Subsidiary pass at KACE and be holders of P1, S1, or Diploma in Education from a recognized institution
OR Mean grade of C- (Minus) at KCSE or equivalent with Certificate and Diploma in relevant field from a recognized institution
NB: Two Teaching subjects and Education units are done in this degree programme.
East Africans Kshs. 70,000/- p.a.
Non-East Africans Kshs. 87,500/- p.a.
Statutory fees Kshs19,900/- p.a.
At the University of Nairobi, these are the admission Requirements
The common regulations for the Bachelor’s degree in the University of Nairobi shall be applicable.
The following shall be admissible into the Bachelor of Education (Arts) programme:
- Holders of Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE)with a minimum aggregate performance of C+, or equivalent.
- Holders of Diploma from University of Nairobi or other recognized institutions and an aggregate of C in KCSE or equivalent.
- Holders of Mean Grade C- or equivalent plus a certificate and Diploma from a recognized institution.
- Holders of ‘O’ Level Division II or equivalent plus a Diploma from a recognized institution.
- Holders of ‘O’ Level Division III or equivalent Plus a Certificate and Diploma from a recognized Institution.
- Holders of ‘O’ Level Division III or equivalent plus a three year Diploma from a recognized secondary institution
- Holders of A Level with two Principal passes or equivalent in relevant subjects.
- Holders of a P1 certificate from a two-year post secondary training institution recognized by Senate.
- Holders of a Higher National Diploma in relevant fields and should have attained an aggregate of C in KCSE
- Holders of a Degree certificate from a recognized University
- Equivalent qualifications to the above from institutions recognized by Senate
Admission requirements to Maseno University are as follows:
KCSE C+ Mean Grade, or EAACE/KCE (“O”Level) Division II & above, or EAACE/KACE: (“A” Level), 2 Principals & 1 Subsidiary or 1 Principal & 2 Subsidiaries. Applicants must meet specific department requirements
Generally, you will see that it’s only a C+ that is needed for you to pursue a degree in education in Kenya and at least the same grade to be admitted for regular course in education.