Computer Science is extremely marketable in Nigeria.It’s a good program for students with passion in programming and software development. Admission requirements to individual university vary based on the demand for the course. Below is a list of universities offering Computer Science in Nigeria and admission requirements:
University of Nigeria Computer Science Department- Admission Requirement
In addition to the University entry requirement, candidate for our programme must have credit in English Language, Mathematics, Physics and any two subjects from Chemistry, Biology, Further Mathematics and Statistics in WASC, SSCE, GCE, NECO or their equivalent examinations in at most two sittings.
Direct Entry (DE)
Direct entry candidates also do four year program in Computer Science Department but direct entry candidate who possess the Diploma in Statistics and Computer Application from our Faculty may be considered, on individual merit, for a waiver of some courses.
In addition to the University entry requirement, candidate for MSc programme must holds BSc in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Related fields with a minimum of 3.5 CGPA.
Candidate for PhD Program must hold a minimum of 4.0 CGPA in MSc Computer Science or related fields.
National Open University of Nigeria BSc Computer Science Admission Requirements
- Admission available for 100 Level and 200 Level
- A minimum of 5 credits in O’ levels.
- Compulsory courses required in O’levels are Mathematics, English Language, Chemistry and Physics.
- Any other relevant course(s) in O’levels
For Admission into 200 Level
- Acceptable A-Level Subjects
- Biology – E
- Chemistry – E
- Mathematics – E
- Physics – E
- Diploma with a minimum of Upper credit in either of the following:
- Computer engineering
- Computer science
- Electrical and electronics
- Electrical engineering
- Marine engineering
- Maths and statistics
Higher National Diploma with a minimum grade, Pass in either of the following:
- Chemical engineering
- Civil engineering
- Computer science
- Electrical engineering
- Electrical/electronics engineering science
- Mechanical engineering
- Mechanical engineering science (adv)
Course Content Specification: For graduation with a B.Sc.(Hons.) in ComputerScience, the students must have a minimum of 140 credit units of core courses and 12 units of elective courses for an 8 semester structure and 110 credit units of core courses and 10 units of elective courses for a 6 semester structure
Website link: https://nou.edu.ng/programmes/bsc-computer-science
American University of Nigeria Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) Admission Requirements
Students must possess a minimum Jamb score of 160 or JAMB’s yearly official cut off score to be considered for admission at AUN.
Also required for admissions consideration are five (5) credits, including English Language and Mathematics, on no more than two SSCE sittings, or an equivalent from a country that requires other types of exit exams or standardized tests. Exceptions, if any, are made on a case-by-case basis.
Candidates are also required to have an acceptable pass in UTME. It is also desirable for candidates to have Further Mathematics and Technical Drawing at credit levels. Such candidates shall have added advantage.
Osun State University B.Sc. Computer Science degree Admission Requirements
For admission into any of the first degree programmes of the University, a candidate shall be required to possess the following minimum qualifications:
1. Senior Secondary School Certificate (SSCE) or its equivalents with credit level passes in five (5) subjects at not more than two sittings. The candidate must also earn an acceptable score in the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).
2. Candidates seeking admission by direct entry into the 200 level, must have at least five (5) O/L credits, two of which must be at Advanced Level or approved equivalents.
DEPARTMENTAL ADMISSION REQUIREMENT
For admission into the first degree programme in Computer Science, a candidate must have the Senior Secondary School Certificate (SSCE) or its equivalents with credit level passes in five (5) subjects: English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry to form the core subjects, with credit in any other Science subject at not more than two sittings. The candidate must also earn an acceptable score in the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).
Direct Entry Candidates
Candidates seeking admission by direct entry into the 200 level Computer Science programme, must have Advanced Level passes in at least Mathematics and Physics, in addition to credit level passes in five of the subjects listed in 3.2.1 above at the SSCE or its equivalents. Candidates with ND and approved equivalents in relevant fields with at least a lower credit may be considered for direct entry into the programme. Candidates with acceptable pass in the UNIOSUN Foundation Programme are also eligible for admission into the 200 level, provided they possess the requisite qualification for entry into the 100 level of the programme.
Redeemer’s University Computer Science B. Sc (Hons) Admission Requirements
For admission to the 4-year programme in Computer Science, candidate must possess the WASC/NECO/GCE (O/L) with a minimum of 5 credit passes in one sitting or 6 credit passes in two sittings. The credit passes to include English Language, Mathematics, Physics and two other Science subjects..
Candidates applying to the Redeemer’s University are expected to sit for the admission year Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME), and attain the National aggregate score. This is a statutory requirement for entry into Nigerian Universities. Candidates are required to apply for programmes of their choice by completing this year JAMB Registration Forms. They are to ensure that their UTME subject combination qualifies them for their chosen programmes.
In addition, candidates must complete online, Application Form of the University. No admission into the Redeemer’s University is possible without participation in the University screening exercise, and attainment of the required standard for admission into the University.
UNDERGRADUATE ADMISSIONS (DIRECT ENTRY)
Candidates who wish to be considered for Direct Entry admission to pursue a three year degree programme are advised to contact the Department for necessary guidance on admission requirements.
National Diploma with at least Upper Credit in relevant programmes
NCE with minimum of Merit passes in two (2) teaching subjects.
Madonna University, Nigeria BSc Computer Science Admission Requirements
- UTME: Candidates who have successfully completed the Senior Secondary School or its equivalent and obtained five credits in Mathematics, English Language, Physics to form the core subjects with credit in any other two relevant science subjects (preference is given to Additional Mathematics, Computer Studies, Statistics, Chemistry, or Biology) in not more than two sittings.
- Direct Entry: Candidates who fulfils above requirements and who have obtained G.C.E Advanced Level, HSC or equivalent passes in Mathematics and Physics or Chemistry or Statistics, or Computer Studies, or Economics may be admitted at the 200 level of the programme. Candidate who fulfil normal admission requirements and in addition holds an ND or HND certificate (minimum upper credit) in Information Technology or Computer Science or Computer Engineering are eligible for direct entry admission.
- Transfer Cases: Candidates wishing to transfer from one programme to Computer Science for some good reason(s) may be considered for absorption at 200 level. Any deficiencies in their background should be rectified by taking appropriate courses.
To qualify for the award of the degree of Bachelor of Computer Science, a student:
(a) Must have spent minimum of 3 or 4 years on the programme depending on the mode of entry.
(b) Must have passed all Compulsory courses.
(c) Must have passed all required courses and selected electives.
University of Jos-Nigeria BSc Computer Science Admission Requirement
- UME: Five O/L Credit passes to include English Language, Mathematics, Physics plus two other science subjects. Economics and Geography are not accepted.
- DE: In addition to UME requirements, two A/L passes (Graded A-E) in the relevant subjects (Mathematics, Computer Science, Chemistry and Physics. The University accepts its own Diploma/other recognized University Diploma in Computer Science with a minimum of Upper Credit.
Students studying computer science are required to have their own laptops to enhance their practical work.
All prospective students of the University must go through the registration process by completing relevant documents. Registration of the fresh students will begin at the Admissions’ office of the university and end in the Computer Science department
All returning students of the Computer Science department are required to register for the prescribed courses for the academic session. Students are expected to complete the registration process within a period of two weeks from the commencement of the first semester of each session. Late registration attracts a fee which is subject to review.
To successfully complete the registration process, the student needs to do the following:
- Pay fees at designated bank, acquire a teller to present at bursary, who will then issue the student the University Bursary receipt
- Present their fee clearance at the faculty for collection of a set of registration materials
- Complete all forms, including going to the Department of General Studies
After completion of all forms with assistance of level coordinator where necessary, a copy is to be submitted to the Level coordinator.
Website link: https://www.unijos.edu.ng/natsciences/compsci
Ambrose Alli University BSc Computer Science Admission Requirements
Candidates must have WASC/GCE ‘O’ level or SSCE with credit passes in at least five subjects including English Language, Mathematics, Physics and any other two subjects from Further Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology/Agricultural Science, Geography, Statistics, Economics and Government in not more that two sitting.
Candidates must satisfy UME requirement and any of the following.
- At least two GCE ‘A’ level passes which must include Mathematics and Physics.
- At least a merit grade in Diploma in any of the following: Data Processing, Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Engineering and Computer Science from any recognized tertiary institution.
- At least merit grade in National Certificate of Education in mathematics, Computer Science, Statistics and Physics.
- A good first degree in related area from a recognized University.
Sokoto State University BSc Computer Science Admission Requirements
Candidates offered provisional admission into 100 level courses or the first year of the four year degree course must have S.S.C.E or GCE O’ level or equivalent with passes at credit level in at least five subjects obtained at not more than two sittings. The subjects must include English Language, Mathematics, Computer Science and Physics to form the core subjects with credit in one other relevant science subject at the Senior Secondary School Certificate. The UTME subjects must include English Language, Mathematics, Physics and any other two subjects from Chemistry, Biology/Agricultural Science, Economics and Computer Studies.
Candidate that passes one or more of the following qualifications may be offered admission by direct entry (i.e., second year of the four year courses);
- Two passes at the advanced level in Computer Science, Mathematics, or Chemistry with S.S.C.E/GCE O’ level credit passes in three other subjects at not more than two sittings.
- Three passes at the Advanced Level in Computer Science, Mathematics, and Chemistry with SSCE/GCE O’ level credit passes in two other subjects at not more than two sittings.
- Qualification equivalent to either (a) or (b) above which may include passes in JAMB, NCE, OND/HND examinations, etc.
Website link: https://www.ssu.edu.ng/read_pagethird.php?mabidi=8
Igbinedion University Bachelor of Computer Science Admission Requirements
Candidates are admitted into the B.Sc. Degree programmes of the department in any of the following three ways:- through University Matriculation examination (UME), by Direct Entry, or through Inter-University Transfer.
(i) University Matriculation Examination (UME) Entry Mode:
In addition to an acceptance pass in UME, candidates seeking admission into B.Sc. degree programme in computing must have at least ordinary level credit passes in five (5) SSCE/GCENECO subjects including English Language, Mathematics, Physics, and any other subjects at not more than two sittings. In addition to (i) above, candidates are required to submit themselves for a written examination and oral interview before admission is finally offered to short-listed qualified candidates.
(ii) Direct Entry Mode
(a) Candidates seeking direct admission to study computer science must have two advance level passes in the relevant science subject including Mathematics, Physics. In addition, such candidates must have satisfied the ‘O’ Level requirement.
(b) Candidates who posses good Diploma Certificates in Computer science can be offered direct entry into the Department to read B.Sc. (Hons) Degree.
(iii) Inter-University Transfer
Candidates wishing to transfer into the Department from another University must have.
(a) Obtain and fill the inter-University Transfer form from the University admission’s Officer.
(b) Satisfied the Department Minimum academic standard required for such level.
Imo State University Bachelor of Computer Science Admission Requirements
Joint Matriculation Examination Candidates must have five “O” level subjects at Credit level passes in English, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry in not more than two sittings.
- Direct Entry:
Direct entry students must meet the conditions stated by Jamb – Five credits in not more than two sittings in English, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and also three A-level papers in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. (i) Should possess an OND, HND, or B.Sc in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical /Electronic Engineering, Mathematics, Physics or Statistics; from a recognized institution.
3. Expected duration for UME candidates shall be 4 years. Such candidate must possess the relevant qualifications as stated above and in addition an acceptable pass in the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) into 100-level to undergo a four-year degree.
4. Expected duration for Direct Entry (DE): Candidates with relevant qualifications as stated above may undergo the three – year degree programme into 200 – level.
Website link: https://imsu.edu.ng/site/compsci.php