Humanitarian Information and Communications Coordinator Jobs at Save the Children
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
Qualifications for the Info & Communications Job
- Education to BSc/BA level in a relevant subject or equivalent field experience
- Proven experience of developing and managing the production of communications materials for INGOs or other similar organisations in emergencies and in humanitarian crises for a minimum of 5 years.
- Can produce accurate, clear and consistent information and communication outputs relating to both programme support and humanitarian situation including key messages, Q&As and factsheets, case studies, press releases, media statements, briefs amongst others
- Evidence of excellent English verbal and written communication skills for a wide range of different audiences including donors, journalists and the general public. Ability to strategically target a wide range of audiences is essential.
- Deep understanding of the East and Southern Africa context, specifically the countries in the Horn of Africa, and South Sudan and Uganda, and particularly relating to international NGO work
- Excellent relationship building skills in order to work across all Country Offices and various Members
- The ability to support the communications team in high-pressure situations, with changing deadlines and priorities, and in a complex humanitarian situation;
- Understanding of how to manage strategic media engagement in politically sensitive environments essential.
- Experience in leading information and communication flows between emergency responses and a variety of internal and external stakeholders;
- Proven ability to work with communities and partners to gather case studies, testimonies and information on the humanitarian situation and on programmes.
- Excellent IT skills, especially in Microsoft Word, technical aptitude in MS Office.
- Excellent understanding of communication and information needs across fundraising, media and campaigning activities, as well donor and member requirements and standards;
- Experience in capacity building and managing humanitarian communications teams;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion. Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy;
- An initiative-taking, proactive, inspiring attitude with the ability to manage and prioritise an unpredictable workload and solve problems quickly with limited support;
- Ability to fact check, proofread, edit and draft materials;
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult working circumstances.
- Commitment and interest in Save the Children’s mission, vision and values. In particular, a good understanding of Save the Children mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
How to Apply