Bachelor of Economics is offered by several universities in Kenya. Students have the option of enrolling as parallel or regular students, but admission depends on KCSE grade an individual scored-generally, a C+ and above is enough to earn you entry into Kenyan universities as a parallel student. If you score at least a B+ in KCSE you will be guaranteed a position in public universities under regular program.
Based on individual universities, these are admission requirements for a degree in economics.
UNIVERSITY OF NAIROBI BACHELOR OF ECONOMICS ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
Applicants for the Bachelor of Economics degree must, in the first instance, satisfy the general University of Nairobi’s admission requirements.
In addition, they should have obtained a minimum of grade c+ in Mathematics offered in the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) examinations, or their equivalents.
When the equivalents are difficult to establish, a candidate may be required to pass an entrance examination before being admitted into the programme. The pass mark for the entry examination shall be 50%.
STRATHMORE UNIVERSITY FINANCIAL ECONOMICS ADMISSION REQUIREMENT
Strathmore University offers Financial Economics, which is more powerful than the basic economics degree. To pursue the course, you have to score at least a B plain in KCSE and at least a C+ in Mathematics.
Some typical job titles in the private sector for Financial Economics are:
- Money Management: Portfolio Analyst, Portfolio Manager, Fund Accountant.
- Investment Banking: Equity Security Analyst, Fixed Income Analyst, Bond Trader, Stock Trader, Commodity Trader, Futures Trader, Options Trader, Stock Broker, Investment Banker.
- Insurance Firm: Life Underwriter, Property and Casualty Underwriter, Claims Analyst-Adjuster, Agent.
- Nonfinancial Firms: Financial Analyst, Inventory Analyst, Pension Fund Administrator, Financial Accountant, Economic Analyst, Economic Forecaster.
- Banking: Lending Officer, Management Trainee, Foreign Exchange Manager, Foreign Exchange Trader, Trust Officer.
KENYA METHODIST UNIVERSITY BACHELOR OF ECONOMICS ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
KCSE C+ (plus) or equivalent.
The best universities to pursue a degree in economics include the University of Nairobi, Strathmore University, Maseno University and JKUAT.