Bachelor of Medicine & Surgery is the most popular degree course in Kenya. Admission Requirements to the universities offering the course differ depending on the competitiveness. Students have the option of pursuing the program at undergraduate or postgraduate level. There is also an option of pursing the program as a parallel student.
Here are admission requirements for the course in various universities in Kenya:
- UNIVERSITY OF NAIROBI BACHELOR OF MEDICINE AND BACHELOR OF SURGERY ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
Kenyan Government Sponsored Students (Regular Programme)
Admission to the University of Nairobi is by the University Senate through the Public Universities Joint Admissions Board (JAB) whose membership comprises Vice-Chancellors of the Public Universities, Principals of Colleges, Directors of Institutes and Deans of Schools and the academic registrars as secretaries.
The admission is based on the minimum University entry requirements. In addition the applicants should meet the enrolment requirements for the School for the various courses which depend on the KCSE subject cluster as follows:-
- Biological Sciences
- Physical Sciences
Application forms are downloadable from elsewhere in this website but can also be obtained from and should be returned to the following:-
University of Nairobi,
P.O. Box 30197, Nairobi, Kenya.
Self Sponsored Students (Module II Programmmes)
Admission to the Module II programmes is by the University Senate, through the school admissions committee. Admission is based on the set minimum requirements for each program.
- K.C.S.E. holders -As in regular program. Additionally, an average of B- (minus) in the 4 cluster subjects shown above provided that no subject in the cluster shall have a score below C+ (plus).
- Biological Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- Advanced Level Holders -A minimum of 2 principal passes; one in Biology and the other in Chemistry and 1 subsidiary pass in either Mathematics or Physics.
- Mount Kenya University Bachelor of Medicine And Surgery Admission Requirements
Candidates wishing to study for the Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery degree shall have met the minimum University entry requirements.
In addition, the applicants shall meet the school entry requirements based on the following subject cluster:
- K.C.S.E. holders: A minimum of mean grade B (plain) with a minimum score of B in each of the cluster subjects shown above.
- Advanced Level Holders – A minimum of 2 principal passes; in Biology, Chemistry, and a subsidiary pass in either Mathematics or Physics.
- Diploma Holders in Medical Sciences – A minimum “O” level Division II pass or K.C.S.E Mean Grade C (plain) and credit pass C (plain) in the cluster subjects or a minimum of one principal pass and two subsidiaries in the cluster subjects in K.A.C.E (A Levels) in addition to a credit pass in the subsequent professional qualifications from a recognized medical training institution.
- Holders of any degree in Biological Sciences or equivalent qualifications from a university recognized by the Mount Kenya University senate.
- Holders of other qualification equivalent to (i – iv) mentioned above and acceptable to university.
- JKUAT Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MB.ChB) – 6 years
Minimum entry requirements
All candidates must satisfy the common requirements for entry to university. In addition:
i. KCSE holders: an average of B+ plus in the 4 cluster subjects shown below provided that no subject in the cluster shall be below B plain
• Physics/ mathematics
• English/ Kiswahili
- Advanced level holders: a minimum of 2 principal passes in Biology and Chemistry and one subsidiary pass in Physics/Maths. In addition to a Credit pass in English
iii. Diploma in Clinical Medicine : a minimum “O” level Division 11 or C+ plus mean grade and Credit pass C+ in the cluster subjects in KCSE in addition to a Credit pass in the professional qualification from a recognized Medical Training Institution
- Holders of any degree in the biological sciences from JKUAT or an equivalent qualification from a university recognized by JKUAT
Transfer of Credits
Applicants seeking transfer of credits for similar courses taken from institutions recognized by the university senate may:
a) Send a formal application seeking transfer of credits , justification of the request and attach evidence of the credentials which will support such request
b) Apply for transfer of credits which is processed only after payment of the prescribed exemption fee.
Website link: http://www.jkuat.ac.ke/schools/medicine/1494-2/
- Moi University Bachelor of Medical and Surgery Admission Requirements
To be admitted to the Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery degree programme, the candidate must satisfy the common requirements for entry into the University as stipulated in the Joint Admissions Board regulations. In addition, candidates must obtain at least the minimum cut off points for the year as determined from the following cluster drawn from the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education structure.
- Mean Grade of A- at KCSE: A- in Biology and Chemistry; and either Maths or Physics; and either English or Kiswahili- A Weighted Cluster Point of 45 and above is mandatory (using old JAB weighted cluster formula)
- Minimum of Division I in O’ Level with credit passes in Biology, chemistry ,Maths or Physics and English or Kiswahili and have principal passes in Biology, Chemistry and either Physics or Maths at ‘A’ level
- Holders of Diplomas, BSc & Masters degrees in related subjects if:
- KCSE Graduates, have a Mean Grade of B and B in Biology, Chemistry and either Maths or Physics, and B in either English or Kiswahili.
- O’ Level and ‘A’ Level System: O’ Level – Division II with credit passes in Biology, and chemistry, and either Math or Physics and either English or Kiswahili. In A’ Level – Have principal passes in Biology, Chemistry and either Maths/ Physics.
- O’ level British GCE system: Have at least a B in Biology and Chemistry; and either Maths or Physics and English, additionally at A’ level have at least a B in Biology ,Chemistry and either Maths or Physics
- KENYATTA UNIVERSITY BACHELOR OF MEDICINE AND BACHELOR OF SURGERY ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
a) Candidates shall have met the minimum University and School of Medicine entry requirements.
b) Candidates shall have obtained a mean grade of at least C+ at K.C.S.E. and passed the subject clusters indicated or 2 principal passes at A level or their equivalents:
Mathematics or Physics B
English or Kiswahili B
Biological Sciences B
Physical Sciences B
English or Kiswahili B
- c) Candidates shall have obtained two principal passes in Biology and Chemistry and a subsidiary pass in Physics or Mathematics.
d) Holders of a Diploma in Clinical Medicine and Surgery from a recognized Medical Training Institution and must be registered as Clinical Officers.
e) The candidate must have attained the minimum University entry requirements of C+ at KCSE division II at O level.
f) Holders of a Bachelors Degree in Biological Sciences, Zoology, Botany, Biology, Microbiology, Medical Laboratory Sciences, Nursing and Pharmacy, Clinical Medicine.
Duration and Programme of Study
• The Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery degree programme (MBChB) is a full time programme to take six academic years of three trimesters each.
• All the courses in the programme are core and must be successfully completed by the student before graduation. A course is designated as one or more units of study.
• Each clinical course shall comprise the contact hours indicated against it. These will comprise of lectures, practicals, rotations and clinical instruction, field courses and combined community health attachments where applicable. A unit shall be defined as 35 contact hours.
- Egerton University Degree Of Bachelor Of Medicine And Bachelor Of Surgery Admission Requirements
All candidates must satisfy the following requirements:
i) Minimum university admission requirements.
ii) In addition, they must obtain at least A- (minus) from one of the following clusters drawn from the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE).
Category A Category B
Biology Biological Sciences
Chemistry Physical Sciences
iii) Those holding qualifications equivalent to the above from institutions recognized by EgertonUniversity may also be admitted.
iv) Applicants with relevant diplomas or University degrees in relevant fields who fulfill all theUniversity entrance requirements may be considered for admission provided the Faculty ofHealthSciences Board recommends and the Senate approves.
v) Such applicants may be required to pass a qualifying examination, administered either orally or in written form or in both formats by the Faculty Board to assess their suitability for enrolment into the programme.
- Kenya Methodist University Bachelor of Medicine Admission Requirments
|Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MB; ChB)||(i) KCSE B (plain) with at least grade B (plain) in Biology, Chemistry, English and B (plain) in Mathematics or Physics (ii) Advanced Level Holders: A minimum of of 2 principal passes in Biology , Chemistry and a subsidiary pass in either mathematics or physics or equivalent . (iii)Holders of Diploma in Medical/Health Sciences: KSCE C +(plus) or Div II in O levels and in addition at least C+ (plus ) or Credit Pass in Cluster subjects and at least a credit pass in the subsequent professional qualifications from a recognized medical training institution or equivalent.|