Bachelor of Commerce is one of the most popular courses in South Africa. Each university has its own requirements for the program. We would like to list the requirements for each university to make it easier for you when you are making the choices.
MSA Bachelor of Commerce Admission Requirements
Minimum Admission Requirements
National Senior Certificate (NSC)
Bachelor pass with English (50%) and Mathematics (40%) or Mathematical Literacy (60%)
National Certificate (Vocational) (NC(V))
Bachelor pass with English (50%) and Mathematics (60%) or Mathematical Literacy (60%)
Senior Certificate (SC)
Endorsement with English (50%) and Mathematics HG (40%) or Mathematics SG (60%)
Senior Certificate (Amended) (SC(a))
Please contact us for more information.
Please note, requirements for entry to this qualification are correct at the time of publication, however, these may change.
University of Witwatersrand Bachelor of Commerce Admission Requirements
Admission requirements for the BCom include a Matriculation exemption certificate, with a demonstrated competence in Mathematics (HG-D symbol or SG-B symbol) if you matriculated prior to 2008. If you matriculated AFTER 2008, you need pure Maths level 5 in the NSC. You also need to have passed English HG – first or second language – with at least a D symbol prior to 2008 or English Home Language or first Additional Language from 2008 on level 5.
For automatic entry into the BCom, a matriculation exemption and a matric admission rating score of 26 with Mathematics and English is required if you matriculated prior to 2008. Subsequent to 2008, you need to have 39 points, in addition to the above Maths and English requirements.
Students with credits from Unisa or other South African universities may be considered for certain credits or exemptions, on condition that they meet the entry requirements as detailed above.
Students who meet all the above entrance requirements, but who narrowly miss the Maths requirement, need to first complete a Maths for Access certificate course for a year (also offered by Wits Plus). If they pass Maths for Access with an average of at least 70%, they can apply for admission to the BCom degree.
Stellenbosch University Bachelor of Commerce Admission Requirements
To study at Stellenbosch University you are required to:
- South African school system: Have obtained a National Senior Certificate (NSC) as certified by Umalusi with admission to Bachelor’s degree studies, which means that you must obtain a mark of at least 50% in each of four school subjects.
- International school system: Final school results from International Curriculum (Cambridge International, International Baccalaureate, etc.), including School of Tomorrow. Click here for the minimum requirements for international curriculums. (A-levels, AS-levels, IB diploma and GCSE/IGCSE/O-levels)
- Have written the National Benchmark Tests (NBTs). Please note that when you apply for a programme in the faculty of Law and of Medicine and Health Sciences, the NBT’s need to be written before 30 June if you want to be considered for selection.
- Also meet further requirements specific to the programme(s) of your choice as set out in the programme outlines under the various faculties
Pearson Institute Admission Requirements
You need a South African National Senior Certificate (NSC) with Bachelor degree entry or an equivalent foreign secondary qualification on an NSC level
with Bachelor degree entry approved by Universities South Africa (USAF).
If you have an international school-leaving certificate, you need to provide
a certificate of exemption issued by Universities South Africa (USAF).
You should have successfully completed the relevant Pearson Institute foundation programme. On successful completion of the foundation programme, students are required to apply to Universities South Africa (USAF) for a certificate of exemption in order to be admitted to a degree programme.
You should have successfully completed a relevant higher certificate qualification. On successful completion of the higher certificate, students are required to apply to Universities South Africa (USAF) for a certificate of exemption in order to be admitted to a degree programme.
- You need 25 or more Pearson Institute points.
• You need 50% or above for Grade 12 Mathematics.
University of South Africa Bachelor of Commerce Admission Requirements
Unisa general admission requirements
- Your admission to Unisa is dependent on you meeting the specific admission requirements for your chosen qualification. If you don’t meet these requirements, you may want to consider alternative qualifications. Click here to visit the qualifications page for undergraduate qualifications.
- Students who completed Grade 12 at the ACE (Accelerated Christian Education) School of Tomorrow may no longer be accepted at Unisa.
- Some Unisa qualifications have limited spaces available. Meeting the general and / specific admission requirements for a qualification does not guarantee that you will be offered a space for the 2020 academic year.
University of Western Cape Bachelor of Commerce Admission Requirements
The minimum admission requirement is a National Senior Certificate (NSC) as certified by Umalusi with an achievement rating of 4 (Adequate achievement, 50-59%) or better in four subjects chosen from the following recognized 20-credit NSC subjects (known as the ‘designated subject list’): Accounting, Agricultural Sciences, Business Studies, Dramatic Arts, Economics, Engineering Graphics and Design, Geography, History, Consumer Studies, Information Technology, Languages (one language of learning and teaching at a higher education institution and two other recognized language subjects), Life Sciences, Mathematics, Mathematical Literacy, Music, Physical Sciences, Religion Studies, Visual Arts.
The Point System
For admission to degree and diploma programmes, UWC will use a weighted system for calculating points, stated as follows:
|NSC Level||Percentage||Points for
Maths or Maths Lit
|Points for each
|||less than 20% ||0||0||0||0|
(*) – ‘English’ here refers to either English home language or English first additional language, not second additional language, which would rather fall under ‘other subjects’
Milpark Education Bachelor of Commerce Admission Requirements
A knowledge, comprehension and application of the English language at NQF Level 4 (Grade 12 or equivalent level) is required.
Minimum system requirements:
- Reliable broadband Internet access
- Firefox/Internet explorer/Chrome web browser
- Microsoft Word
- PDF Viewer
- Ability to scan and upload documents
- Email/Cellphone for notification and communication
In order to determine the curriculum for which a student may register, the Milpark Education points system applies as follows:
IF YOU MATRICULATED IN 2007 OR EARLIER
|SYMBOL||HIGHER GRADE||STANDARD GRADE|
For entry into the degree, candidates who matriculated in 2007 or earlier must have:
- A National Senior Certificate and a minimum of 24 points on the Milpark points system.
- A symbol of E or higher for Mathematics on HG, or a symbol of D or higher for Mathematics on SG. Candidates who do not meet the Mathematics requirement, but who have achieved a rating of 4 or higher in any two of the following subjects, may be offered admission on condition that they pass Business Mathematics in the first semester of registration:
- Business Economics
- Physical Science or Physics/Chemistry
- Natural Science or Biology
IF YOU MATRICULATED IN 2008 OR LATER
|NSC RESULT||POINTS AWARDED|
For entry into the degree, candidates who matriculated in 2008 or later require:
- A National Senior Certificate as certified by Umalusi with an achievement rating of 4 (adequate achievement, 50‐59%) or better in four subjects from the recognised 20 credit list, one of which must be the language of instruction, namely English.
- An achievement rating of 4 for Mathematics or 6 for Mathematic Literacy. Candidates who do not meet the Mathematics requirement, but who have achieved a rating of 4 or higher in any two of the following subjects, may be offered admission on condition that they pass Business Mathematics in the first semester of registration:
- Business Economics
- Physical Science or Physics/Chemistry
- Natural Science or Biology
University of Johannesburg Bachelor of Commerce in International Accounting online admission requirements
The admission requirements for this programme will adhere to the University of Johannesburg’s Admission and Selection Policy which is current at the time of the registration for this programme.
A Senior Certificate or a National Senior Certificate that meets the specific admission criteria noted below.
For non-South African students a school leaving certificate that meets the specific admission criteria noted below.
A minimum Admissions Point Score (APS) of 28 is required for admission into this degree, with the following specifications:
- English with an APS of 4
- Maths with an APS of 4
- Mathematical Literacy is not accepted.
How to calculate an Admission Point Score (APS): Click here
- A certified academic record and a certified copy of highest qualification obtained.
The international equivalence of qualifications will be specified in the Prospectus.
Have a question? Email [email protected] or phone 0800 980 364 (toll-free)
We recommend the following in order to successfully complete your 100% online degree:
Basic computer skills:
- Be able to operate your computer and perform basic tasks.
- Email and file management (access, create, edit, save, upload and download documents).
- Be able to use a word processing programme to create and edit documents.
- Basic web-browsing skills.
- Laptop or PC
- A high-speed internet connection (3G, 4G, LTE, ADSL or Fibre)
- E-book storage and reading
- Study notes storage and reading (PDF, MS Office)
- Video storage and playback
- Video recording
- Audio storage and playback
- Audio recording
- Web browsing
- Document creation
- Access to social networking
Rosebank College Bachelor of Commerce Admission Requirements
Candidates having attained the age of 23 before or during the first year of registration with a Senior Certificate with a minimum of 40% in at least four higher or standard grade subjects, at least three of which shall have been passed simultaneously and one of which shall be a recognised higher grade subject; OR Candidates must have attained the age of 45 before or during the first year of registration. An USAf Exemption Certificate is required
If discipline not cognate at least 20% of credits must be academic literacy or numeracy related. you have a valid study visa issued in the name of The Independent Institute of Education (The IIE) that covers the duration of your studies.
School of Tomorrow (SOT) (last date of achievement 30 June 2019)
Candidates who have successfully completed an SOT qualification may be conditionally admitted directly into the 1st year of the degree, provided that they have: a) submitted their SOT certificate along with a statement of results and have achieved at least 50 % in 4 recognised 20-credit NSC subjects – using the SOT National Conversion Table; b) achieved the following for the National Benchmark Tests (NBT)- AQL: – Academic Literacy (AL) score of at least 51 AND a Quantitative Literacy (QL) score of at least 38 An USAf Exemption Certificate is required – the Office of the Registrar will facilitate, on behalf of the student, an application for a degree exemption certificate to USAf, once the student has provided proof of payment to USAf.
Mancosa Bachelor of Commerce Admission requirements
- The minimum entry requirement is the National Senior Certificate or National Certificate Vocational with appropriate subject combinations and levels of achievement; or
- An equivalent NQF level 4 qualification with proven proficiency in English; or
- A Higher Certificate, an Advanced Certificate or Diploma.
Varsity College Bachelor of Commerce Admission Requirements in South Africa
|International||An USAf Exemption Certificate to degree studies is required and meeting the
relevant Maths and English requirements.
|A cognate Higher Certificate or 240 credit Diploma OR an
Advanced Certificate or 360 credit Diploma may satisfy the
minimum admission requirements to degree studies.
|If discipline not cognate at least
20% of credits must be academic
literacy or numeracy related.
not be met at NSC Grade
12 , then, in some
instances, entrance may
be granted based on
Grade 11 marks)
|English||40-49%||if achieved 50% min in Grade 11 – applicable to contact and
|Mathematics||30-39%||register for tutorial sessions for numeracy modules –
applicable only to contact students in 2019 and 2020
|50-59%||register for tutorial sessions for numeracy modules –
applicable only to contact students in 2019 and 2020
|Senate Discretionary Admissions:|
|Mature Age Exemption||Candidates having attained the age of 23 before or during the first year of registration with a
Senior Certificate with a minimum of 40% in at least four higher or standard grade subjects, at
least three of which shall have been passed simultaneously and one of which shall be a
recognised higher grade subject; OR Candidates must have attained the age of 45 before or
during the first year of registration.
An USAf exemption Certificate is required.
Candidates 23 years and older at point of registration, with an endorsed Senior Certificate (with
|Recognition of Prior
|Candidates must demonstrate suitability for admission in terms of Senate’s resolution 6.6 of 20
October 2005 which allows for Senate’s discretionary conditional admission (if applicable).
|USAf approved cognate
|Candidates who have completed an USAf approved cognate foundation programme from a
registered and accredited provider may be admitted. The additional Maths/Math Lit and English
criteria fall away.
An USAf Exemption Certificate is required – the Office of the Registrar will facilitate, on behalf
|Transfer students||Candidates who have successfully completed at least 120 credits on the first year of a cognate
degree may be admitted. However, if a student completed less than 120 credits, the admission
criteria on the NSC or equivalent apply.
|OQSF qualifications||Candidates with an OQSF Level 5 cognate qualification may be admitted, provided the OQSF
qualification has at least 120 credits at NQF Level 5. An USAf Exemption Certificate is required –
the Office of the Registrar will facilitate, on behalf of the student, an application for degree
admission to USAf, once the student has provided proof of payment to USAf.
Development (GED) – An
developed by the
American Council on
|Candidates with a GED qualification may be admitted if they have an USAf Foreign Conditional
Exemption Certificate as well as NBT: AQL results and have obtained a score of at least 51 for
Academic Literacy (AL) and a score of at least 40 for Quantitative Literacy (QL).