Kenya Wildlife Service Training Institute is the best college to train if you wish to join KWS,NGOs dealing with with wildlife and conservation and the ministry of environment.The institution offers competitive certificates and diploma courses at low cost.
Diploma and Certificate Courses
Kenya Wildlife Service Training Institute (KWSTI) is a middle level college located in Naivasha about 90km from Nairobi. It is registered with the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology as a TVET institution. KWSTI provides specialized training in Natural Resource Management and Tourism Development in an effort to enhance Conservation, Management and Sustainability of Wildlife Bio-diversity in Kenya and globally. Courses are offered at Certificate and Diploma levels with curricula designed on Competency-based basis with Modules of Employable Skills (MES), when desired.
DIPLOMA (Each packed into variable modules). Duration – 18 Months (4 Semesters)
- Diploma in Environmental Management (Environmental Education Assistant, Environmental Health & Safety Assistant)
- Diploma in Fisheries & Aquatic Sciences (Fisheries Extension Officer, Fish Gear Technician)
- Diploma in Tourism & Hospitality Management (Tours & Travel Administration, Hospitality Supervision, Tourism Enterprise Development Marketing)
- Diploma in Wildlife Management (Wildlife Research Assistant, Community Wildlife Assistant, Wildlife Management Assistant)
Minimum Entry Requirement
- KCSE Mean Grade C- (minus) or its equivalent OR
- Completed and passed a relevant Certificate course OR
- KCVET with grade C- (minus) as mean aggregate or three years working experience in the relevant fields and a minimum of D+ (plus) or its equivalent OR KCSE D+ (plus) and three years working experience in relevant field.
CERTIFICATE (Each packed into variable modules). Duration – 9 Months (2 Semesters)
- Certificate in Aquaculture (Fish Farming Assistant, Fish Farm Operations Assistant)
- Certificate in Community Wildlife Management (Wildlife Naturalist Assistant, Community Wildlife Field Assistant)
- Certificate in Nature Interpretation & Tour Administration (Touristic Field Naturalist, Tour Administration)
Minimum Entry Requirement
- KCSE mean Grade of D (plain) or its equivalent OR equivalent with at least 3 years working experience in relevant fields.
Several students who pursue courses at Kenya Wildlife Service Training Institute end up being successful.Silantoi,one of the Game Ranger, pursued Diploma in Wildlife Management (Wildlife Research Assistant, Community Wildlife Assistant, Wildlife Management Assistant) and ended up working at Kenya Wildlife Service as a Research Assistant.Today, he is among few individuals who earn over Ksh 80,000 per month.While acknowledging the efforts of lecturers and quality of courses at the institution,Silantoi encourages other Kenyans to join the college.
“I am pleased to tell any Kenyan who wish to study wildlife and conservation related courses to enroll at Kenya Wildlife Service Training Institute because the courses are marketable in this field”.