Architecture is one of the best courses to pursue in Kenya.The program, which attracts several application, often require students to score at least A- for them to be admitted for the course, but the minimum requirement varies according to the university you join.
You can decide to enroll for architecture as a regular student or parallel program,but due to the high demand for the course, it’s always easier to join parallel program. If you decide to enroll for a parallel program, the entry requirements are low—regular program picks the best candidates in KCSE.
The best universities to study architecture in Kenya include University of Nairobi ,Kenyatta University and JKUAT.If you want to join UoN as a parallel student,here is the minimum requirement and fees structure
Minimum Admission Requirements:
- KCSE (Mean C+) and C+ passes in each of the four cluster subjects: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology or any Group III, IV and V; or
- Advanced Level Certificate: Two principal passes in Maths and Physics with subsidiary pass in Chemistry. For B.Sc. in Geospatial Engineering, a subsidiary pass in Geography is acceptable in lieu of Chemistry; or
- Ordinary Diploma from a recognized institution with Credit Passes in the relevant subjects; or
- Higher National Diploma from a recognized institution with passes in relevant subjects; or
- Technical/Science Diploma from a recognized institution with Credit Passes in Mathematics and Chemistry from a recognized institution; or
- B.Sc or B.Ed (Science) from a recognized institution; or other appropriate technical qualification at degree level.
- And any other relevant criteria listed in the General Admissions Criteria.
Mode of learning: Full time
School of Engineering Fee structure
|Bsc. Civil, Elect, Mech, Geospatial and Environ. & Biosystems Engineering||(foreigners add 20%)|
|Year 1||KES 184,700.00|
|Year 2||KES 179,700.00|
|Year 3||KES 179,700.00|
|Year 4||KES 179,700.00|
|Grand Total||KES 903,500.00|
If you are interested to join JKUAT for the degree program, here is the minimum entry requirement.
Kenya Certificate of Secondary Examination (KCSE) with a minimum aggregate of B- (minus) and C+ (plus) as the minimum grade in cluster Groups of 4 subjects which include: Mathematics, Physics, any subject from Group III (History and Government OR Geography OR Christian Religious Education OR Islamic Religious Education OR Hindu Religious Education); or 2ndGroup II (Biology or Chemistry); OR 2nd Group III OR Group IV (Home Science, or Art and Design or Agriculture or Aviation Technology or Computer Studies); OR Group V (French, German, Arabic, Music, Business Studies)
At Kenyatta University, these are the minimum entry requirements:
Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch)
Applicants for the Bachelor of Architecture must have obtained the following minimum qualifications:-
- Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE)
Obtained a minimum grade of C+ in the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education and have minimum grade of C+ in the following subjects:
- Any 2nd Group II (Biology or Chemistry) or
- Any Group III (Geography or History or Art and Design) or
- Any Group IV (Home Science or Art and Design or Agriculture or Aviation Technology or Computer Studies) or
- Any Group V (French, German, Arabic, Music, Business Studies)
Two Principal Passes in any one of the following subjects: Economics, History, Geography, Commerce, or any other relevant subject, and a credit pass in the English language and Mathematics at KCE level or equivalent.
- Approved Diploma
Candidates with a Kenyatta University approved diploma or Kenya National Examinations Council (KNEC) Diploma with at least a credit pass in: Building Construction, Architectural Studies, Land Surveying and Civil Engineering; or Diploma in Estate Agency and Property Management; or Diploma in Technology (Dip. Tech) in Land Administration may be admitted into the first year of study.
Two Tier Programme
The curriculum for the above has been structured as a six year two tier programme. The first stage consists of a four year of full time study which at the time of completion the students can make an exit and are awarded a Bachelor of Architectural studies. This is followed by another two year of full-time study where the student graduates with Bachelor of Architecture. This is in line with worldwide trends that are recognized by the Common Wealth Association of Architects.
Professional development and progression of the graduates of architecture can be made both in public and private areas. In the building and construction sector, architects play a central role in the planning, designing and implementation of building projects. In the industrial field, architects can work as professionals in research and production of materials. Besides, they can join real estate management and urban design. Architects also play a crucial role in the implementation and management of national, county and city projects. Architects are key participants in the design and planning of public space and facilities.
For those who will be joining local universities on regular program, you have to wait communication from Kenya Universities and Colleges Central Placement Services who will determine the cut off points.In 2017,you can join the program with a B+