Lawyers are among the highest paid professionals in USA.As of 2017, the median salary of a qualified lawyer was averaging $160,000 annually. This pay, however, vary depending on factors we are going to discuss below.
A lawyer who is fresh from college is employed by various top law firms in the US.This lawyer is given the following responsibilities:
- Advise clients in business transactions, claim liability, advisability of prosecuting or defending lawsuits or legal rights and obligations.
- Select jurors, argue motions, meet with judges and question witnesses during the course of a trial.
- Represent clients in court or before government agencies, present and summarize cases to judges and juries.
- Gather evidence to formulate defense or to initiate legal actions; evaluate findings and develop strategies and arguments for presentation of cases.
- Analyze and interpret laws, rulings and regulations with probable case outcomes for individuals and businesses.
With the following roles, he/she will be paid a monthly salary upward $8,000 per month. This salary stagnates for close to one year when they are allowed to negotiate their pay.
After gaining experience, the lawyer’s salary improves to a minimum $10,000 in the first year of employment. This salary however depends on the state and the law firm a lawyer works for.
Highest paying law firms pay their junior lawyers starting salary of $145,000 while the lowest paying firms pay $110,000.
Experienced lawyers earn between $150,000-$200,000 annually.
Several lawyers have given their testimonies and revealed how much they earn in a year.
“I am Lisa and I work for a Law Firm in New York. I graduated with LLB in 2013 and I was absorbed into this company after completing my school. My initial pay was $125,000 per annum and I earned this amount of one year. Since then my salary has been on the rise, reaching a maximum $146,100 per year.Currently,I earn a median salary of $146,100 and I expect to earn more in the coming year”
Martin also works for a Law Firm in California and revealed to us what he takes home in a month.
“I possess legal experience spanning 7 years. My current annual pay is $168,200.This salary is inclusive of bonuses and commissions”
To be a lawyer in USA you have to pursue a degree in Law from a recognized institution and acquire legal skills from a recognized law firm.