Laboratory Technician Jobs at FHI 360
Working closely with Laboratory Specialists in the FHI 360 field and Nairobi offices to provide technical assistance, quality assessment and capacity building services to ensure and enhance the quality of laboratory services associated with FHI 360 program.
This position will focus their efforts on providing technical support to the FHI 360-led laboratory strengthening program in the Rift Valley, and Western Kenya.
Laboratory Technician Job Responsibilities
- Serve as laboratory quality management system and service delivery improvement mentor in selected health facilities within the region
- Offer onsite face-to-face laboratory staff mentorship and training on documentation and SOPs, sample management and collection techniques, sample packaging, sample referral systems, quality assurance, results handling, biosafety and waste management
- Liaise with facility Medical Superintendent, clinicians, laboratory staff and nurses to establish and strengthen the laboratory-clinical services interface.
- Promote safe blood transfusion practices and blood safety through technical assistance in adaption of developed policies, standards and guidelines and training of laboratory staff
- Work in collaboration with the county laboratory coordinators, laboratory in-charges and facility managers to strengthen laboratory networking to ensure efficient testing for TB, HIV rapid, HIV viral load, EID PCR and OIs and acceptable turn-around times for these testing.
- Support the development of laboratory policies, strategic plans, management and monitoring tools both at the county and facility level to improve services as may be required from time to time
- Offer technical advice on laboratory commodities forecasting, ordering, re-stocking and stores management to eliminate stock outs.
- Provide technical assistance for equipment including validation, calibration, certification and routine servicing to ensure efficient operation and minimal test interruptions
- Spearhead efficient implementation of both facility and project action plans as required.
- Assist with the preparation of project progress reports and tracking project progress.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications for the Laboratory Technician Job
- Working knowledge of quality assurance systems including pertinent national and international regulations and guidance. This knowledge to include direct experience implementing SLMTA/SLIPTA.
- Proven capability and direct experience in clinical and research laboratory functions and services, including in resource constrained settings.
- Proven capability and direct experience in conducting HIV and TB diagnostics.
- Resourceful and creative thinker with the ability to develop simple and efficient solutions and recommendations.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, particularly diplomacy.
- Good in both written and spoken English and report writing.
How to Apply