There are many universities and colleges which offer information science to a number of students. Admission requirements for each university are different. If you intend to pursue the course, here is what is required from you:
Technical University of Kenya Bachelor of Science in Information Science Admission Requirements
Applicants shall be eligible for admission into the Bachelor of Science in Information Science degree in the School of Library and Information Studies in the following categories:
The basic admission requirement shall be the minimum entry requirements set for entry into the public universities, which is at least an average grade of C+ in the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE). In addition, candidates are expected to have obtained at least a grade C+ in each of the cluster subjects in following cluster of subjects in KCSE examinations:
English and Kiswahili
Any group II and III
Any 2ndGroupII or III or any Group IV/any Group V.
KCSE Subject Grouping
Group I: English, Kiswahili, Mathematics
Group II: Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Biology for the blind and General Science
Group III: History and Government, Geography, Christian Religious Education, Islamic Religious Education, Hindu Religious Education
Group IV: Home Science, Art and Design, Agriculture, Woodwork, Metalwork, Building Construction, Power Mechanics, Electricity, Aviation Technology, Computer Studies
Group V: French, German, Arabic, Music, Business Studies, Kenyan Sign Language
A-Levels or Equivalent
Applicants should have a minimum of two (2) principal passes in sciences or in Humanities and a subsidiary level pass
Diploma (TEP) or Equivalent
Applicants with a Diploma (Technical Education Program) in Information Studies of The Technical University of Kenya or an equivalent qualification
Diploma in Library and Information Studies or Equivalent
Applicants with a Diploma in Archives and Records Management or Library Science of The Technical University of Kenya nya or an equivalent qualification
Higher Diploma (H.Dip.) or Equivalent
Applicants with a Higher Diploma (H.Dip.) in Archives and Records Management or Library Science of The Technical University of Kenya or an equivalent qualification
Website link: http://ssts.tukenya.ac.ke/index.php/departments/92-library-and-information-science/courses/142-bachelor-of-science-in-information-science
Mount Kenya University Bachelor of Science in Information Science Admission Requirements
- i) KCSE or equivalent certificate with a minimum of C+ and grade C (plain) in both mathematics and English or similar grades in an equivalent examination approved by the University Senate.
- ii) KACE or equivalent Certificate with a minimum of the principal passes and O level Credit in Mathematics and English Language.
iii) Diploma in relevant disciplines in the field of information Science from an institution recognized by the university senate.
iv) A holder of KCSE certificate or equivalent with a mean aggregate of C(plain) with C (plain) in Mathematic and English with a pre-university certificate from Mount Kenya University.
Exemptions and credit transfers
A maximum of 15 credit transfers for diploma holders of I.T. and related diplomas recognised by the Mount Kenya University senate for individual subjects where students have attained a credit and above
4 Academic years
Programme start dates
Every January, May and Sept
60,000 Kshs per semester total of 480,000
Website link: https://www.mku.ac.ke/index.php/academic-programmes/118-programmes/408-bachelor-of-science-in-information-science
Maasai Mara University Bachelor of Science in Information Science Admission Requirements
- Minimum mean grade of C+ at KCSE OR
- 2 principals and 1 subsidiary pass at “A” level OR
- A Diploma in a relevant field of study from a recognized institution.
- In addition, applicants must meet the specific subject requirements for each programme
Website link: http://mmarau.ac.ke/bachelor-of-science-in-information-science.html
EGERTON UNIVERSITY BACHELOR OF LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCE ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
Candidates must meet the minimum Egerton University entry requirements for admission together with those in the Department and Faculty. Applicants who have passed with at least a Diploma or its equivalent in Library and Information Studies from a recognized institution. Applicants who have attained a Diploma in library, archives and records management or Higher National Diploma (HND) or equivalent may be admitted in second and third year respectively on the basis of credit transfers, a maximum of 40% as stipulated in the Egerton University Statutes. However, such students will be required to do common core courses taught in first year.
Website link: http://www.egerton.ac.ke/ecampus/blins.html
MOI UNIVERSITY BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATICS ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
Candidates must satisfy the minimum entry requirements of Moi University as stipulated in the statutes and will be selected on the basis of their performance in the following cluster of subjects in KCSE: English or Kiswahili, Mathematics, best remaining subject in group (iii), and best remaining subject in group (iv) or group (vi).
Admission may be granted to candidates who meet minimum entry requirements of the university and who are also holders of a relevant diploma qualification in information technology or any other related field recognized by the Moi University Senate, so long as the diploma has been obtained with distinction or credit. Such candidates may be admitted directly into the second year of study.
Admission may be granted to candidates who meet minimum entry requirements of university and who are also holders of a relevant Higher National Diploma qualification in information technology related field so long as the Higher National Diploma has been obtained with distinction or credit. Such candidates may be admitted directly into the third year of study.
Admission may be granted to candidates who are holders of Diploma in Informatics of Moi university, such candidates may be directly admitted to third year of study.
Website link: https://is.mu.ac.ke/index.php/k2-categories/undergraduate/informatics
Kenya Highlands University Bachelor of Library and Information Science (BLIS) Admission Requirements
To enroll for this programme, a student must meet the following minimum requirements;
- Attained a mean grade of C+ (plus) in KCSE or equivalent
- Should have acquired a C+ in Mathematics and English (Or passed a bridging course in mathematics and English from an institution approved by the senate) OR
- Have acquired a diploma in Library Science from an institution approved by the senate
Website link: https://khu.ac.ke/bachelor-of-library-and-information-science-blis/
JKUAT B.Sc Geospatial Information Science Admission Requirements
In addition to university and faculty of engineering common regulations the following requirements should be fulfilled by prospective candidates:
1) Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) applicants should satisfy all the requirements below:
- A candidate must have a mean aggregate of at least grade C+ (plus);
- The mean grade for the total score in the four cluster subjects must be at least C+ (plus);
- In the individual cluster subjects, a candidate must have at least the scores given below:
|Alternative A||Alternative B|
|Mathematics C+||Mathematics C+|
|Physics C+||Physical Sciences B|
|Chemistry C+||Biological Sciences C+|
|Geography or Biology, or C+||Geography or any C+|
|Any Group IV Subjects||Group IV Subjects|
2) Kenya Advanced Certificate of Education (KACE) or the A-level equivalent should satisfy all the requirements below:
- At least two principal passes in Mathematics and Physics;
- At least a total score of nine (9) points at the KACE or equivalent;
- At least a credit pass in chemistry at the KCE or its equivalent.
3) Diploma applicants:
A candidate must be a holder of JKUAT diploma with at least a credit pass in the relevant discipline.
4) A holder of other qualifications recognized by the Senate as equivalent to 1, 2 and 3 above.
Website link: http://www.jkuat.ac.ke/departments/gegis/programmes/b-sc-geospatial-information-science/
Strathmore University Master of Science in Computing and Information Systems (MSc CIS) Admission Requirements
- Holders of First Class (or GPA of 3.45 – 4) or Upper Second Class Honors (or GPA of 2.85–3.44 ) degrees in any discipline from recognised universities; or
- Holders of other related qualifications from recognised universities, considered by the Academic Council as equivalent to a First Class or Upper Second Class degree in any discipline or
- Holders of Lower Second Class or at least 2.5 GPA degrees plus postgraduate diploma or certificates or at least two years working experience from the day of graduation.
- In addition, the applicant must have obtained the minimum university entry requirement i.e. scored at least a C+ in their KCSE (or its equivalent).
If the applicant meets the above entry requirements, they are then invited to sit a written Graduate Entrance Exam (GEE). All applicants MUST sit and pass our GEE that comprises of a written exam followed by an oral interview. The written exam entails English comprehension and grammar, an essay as well as arithmetic. Once the applicant has completed and passed the written exam, they are scheduled for an oral interview.
Website link: https://www.strathmore.edu/course/master-of-science-computer-based-information-systems-msc-cis/
University of Embu Diploma in library and information science Admission Requirements
- Mean Grade C(Plain) at KCSE plus a Minimum of C(Plain) in Kiswahili and English; OR,
- KACE or its equivalent with at least 1 principal pass in a relevant subjects; OR,
- Mean Grade C-(Minus) at KCSE plus a pass in Craft Certificate in Library, Archives and Information Studies(KNEC) or Certificate in Archives and Records Management OR Certificate in Library and Information Science from an Institution recognized by the university senate
Website link: https://www.embuni.ac.ke/index.php/academic-brochure/23-sess/169-diploma-in-library-and-information-science
Kabianga University Diploma in Information Sciences Admission requirements
- KCSE mean grade of C- (minus), with at least a C- in English/Kiswahili and Mathematics/Physics; OR
- A certificate in one of the information sciences’ disciplines, with distinction or credit, obtained from a reputable institution; OR
- An equivalent alternative qualification to those mentioned above e.g. KCE (Div.III) or KACE with at least one principal pass.
Website link: http://kabianga.ac.ke/main/programme/diploma-information-sciences