At the university/college level, you can pursue Bachelor of Information Technology or Diploma in IT, both are marketable in Kenya. Admission requirements depend on specific universities. The most popular universities are stricter than those with less demand for the course.
Here is a full list of universities and colleges offering IT in Kenya and the admission requirements:
- Technical University of Kenya Bachelor of Technology in Information Technology Admission Requirements
Candidates shall be eligible for admission into The Bachelor of Technology in Information Technology in the following categories:
The basic admission requirement shall be the minimum entry requirements set for entry into the public universities, which is at least an average grade of C+ in the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE).
In addition, applicants are expected to have obtained at least a grade C+ in each of the cluster subjects in following cluster of subjects in KCSE examinations:
A-Levels or Equivalent
Candidates should have a minimum of two (2) principal passes in Mathematics and Physics and a subsidiary level pass in Chemistry with a credit pass in English at O-Level.
48.2.2 Diploma in Technology or Equivalent
Applicants with a Diploma in technology in Information Technology of the Kenya Polytechnical University or an equivalent qualification.
Higher Diploma or Equivalent
Applicants with a Higher Diploma in Computer studies of the Kenya Polytechnic University
College or an equivalent qualification.
Diploma(TEP) or Equivalent
Applicants with a Diploma(Technical Education Programme) in Computer studies of the Kenya
Polytechnic University College or an equivalent qualification.
- JKUAT BSc. Information Technology Admission Requirements
Mean Grade: KCSE C+ and Grade C in English and Mathematics (or equivalent) Examination.
- Kenyatta University Bachelor of Information Technology Admission Requirements
A candidate pursuing the SIT degree must meet the minimum University requirements and the minimum entry requirements for the School of Engineering and Technology (SET). In addition the candidate must have attained the following minimum grades at KCSE or equivalent qualifications:
- The Cooperative University of Kenya Bachelor of Science in Information Technology (8 SEMESTERS) Admission Requirements
KCSE Aggregate grade “C+” and grade “C+” in Mathematics and English and grade “C” in Physics or a holder of Diploma from any institution recognized by the University Senate
- KCA Diploma in Information Technology (DIT) Admission Requirements
This program is designed to provide a foundation to enable the students to integrate information technology into modern business management at the basic levels.
– K.C.S.E. mean grade C (plain) with C- (minus) in Mathematics and English
– Division II in K.C.E. with credit passes in Mathematics and English
– Any other equivalent qualification approved by the University senatent.
The duration for this programme shall be six (2) years.
- MOI UNIVERSITY MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
Candidates for the Master of Science in Information Technology program must be holders of at least 2nd Class Honours Lower Division Bachelors degree in Information Sciences or a related discipline from Moi University or from a university recognized by Moi University Senate.
Those with post-graduate diplomas in related disciplines shall be considered.
Common Postgraduate Studies regulations of Moi University shall apply.
- Kabarak University Bachelor of Business Information Technology Admission Requirements
KCSE minimum Mean grade C+ with C in Mathematics and English
Expected Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course it is expected that graduates will be able to:
2. Interpret fundamental IT concepts and apply the principles of Information Technology in modern organizations.
3. Integrate the theory and practice of information technology with the fundamental principles of business management, financial management, operations management,
strategic planning, and marketing.
4. Examine the influences of technology on business operations, e-commerce and globalization of business.
5. Identify the prevailing legal principles and ethical issues associated with information technology in the workplace.
6. Appraise the principles and practices of database systems, information technology project planning, information systems and information security.
Website link: https://kabarak.ac.ke/course/information-technology/
- African Nazarene University Certificate in Information Technology Admission Requirements
KCSE Mean Grade of D Plain
2 Credits in Relevant subjects.
- MASENO UNIVERSITY BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
To be admitted into the B.Sc. in Information Technology programme, a candidate must satisfy the minimum University and School of Computing and Informatics admission requirements. Candidates should further meet one of the following minimum requirements:
- a) KCSE candidates with a mean grade of C+ and C or above in Mathematics
- b) Diploma in IT of Maseno University or Diplomas from recognized institutions with an overall credit pass may be admitted into the second year of study.
- c) Other Diploma holders will be admitted into the first year of study and will be granted credit transfers on the basis of individual course units.
- d) Other qualifications recognized and accepted by Maseno University.
- UNIVERSITY OF NAIROBI MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY MANAGEMENT ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
- The common regulations for Masters degrees in the University of Nairobi shall apply.
- The following shall be eligible for admission into the Master of Science in Information Technology Management:
- Holders of a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Information Technology or a related discipline, with at least Upper Second Class Honours, of the University of Nairobi, or an equivalent qualification from another institution recognized by Senate.
- Holders of a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Information Technology or a related discipline, of Lower Second Class Honours, of the University of Nairobi, or an equivalent qualification from another institution recognized by Senate. In addition, they must have demonstrable relevant Information Technology expertise and experience of at least two years.
- Holders of a Postgraduate Diploma in Computer Science or Postgraduate Diploma in Information Systems of the University of Nairobi, of at least Credit or an equivalent qualification from another institution recognized by Senate.
3.Applicants shall be required to pass a School-based entrance examination.
CREDIT TRANSFER AND EXEMPTIONS
A candidate may be exempted from some units from approved institutions subject to the following conditions:
- Must have been examined and passed in the relevant units at postgraduate level
- Request for exemption must be made in writing on admission to the Director, Board of Postgraduate Studies, University of Nairobi, through the Director, School of Computing and Informatics and must be accompanied by officially endorsed supporting documents
- Payment of appropriate exemption fees
- A candidate shall be exempted up to a maximum of one third of the total taught courses
- Mount Kenya University Diploma in Information Technology Admission Requirements
iii) KCSE or equivalent certificate with a minimum of C and grade C- (minus) in both mathematics and English or similar grades in an equivalent examination approved by the University Senate.
iv) Certificate in relevant disciplines in the field of information technology from an institution recognized by the university senate.
Exemptions and credit transfers
A maximum of 15 credit transfers for diploma holders of I.T. and related certificates and diplomas recognised by the Mount Kenya University senate for individual subjects where students have attained a credit and above
Programme start dates
Every January, May and September
- MASINDE MULIRO UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY BACHELOR OF TECHNOLOGY EDUCATION (COMPUTER STUDIES) ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
Programme Admission Requirements
The following are the minimum requirements for admission into the Bachelor of Technology Education (Computer Studies) Degree Programme.
Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) with an average grade of C+ (C Plus) or its equivalence and a minimum grade of C+ in two science subjects Or
Mean grade C (Plain) at KCSE or its Equivalent with Diploma in Technology Education (Computer Studies) from a recognized Institution Or
Kenya Certificate of Education (KCE) Division III with credit passes in two science subjects with Diploma in Education.
- Egerton University Bachelor of Business Information and Management Admission Requirements
i). Candidates for admission into the Bachelor of Business Information Management (BINM) must satisfy the minimum common entrance requirement as stipulated by Egerton University Statutes. The subject cluster will be as stipulated in the criteria by the Joint admission Board (JAB). In addition, the candidates must satisfy either of the following minimum requirements:
ii). Be a holder of KCSE certificate with a minimum aggregate of C+ with at least C+ in Mathematics and English/ Kiswahili.
iii). Candidates with credit and its equivalent in Diploma in Computer Science,
Information Technology, Business Management or any other related discipline from institutions recognized by Egerton University Senate
- Kenya Highlands University Diploma in Information Technology Admission Requirements
- Applicants must have minimum entry requirements as specified by the rules and regulations of Kenya Highlands University
- In addition to the minimum entrance requirements of Kenya Highlands Evangelical University (overall C at KCSE) applicants must have:A minimum grade of C – (C Minus) in Mathematics and English
Website link: https://khu.ac.ke/diploma-in-information-technology/