WCK is the best college to pursue wildlife and conservation courses in Kenya. The Institution headquarter is located in Nairobi and has branches all over the country.
WCK was incorporated in January, 1999 with 22 students. It has since grown to become a giant in conservation industry.
Courses offered by the college are as follows:
- Certificate in tour guiding& tour administration
- Diploma in tourism& wildlife studies
- Current research activities
- Domestic tourism in protected areas
- Population structure, habitat use and foraging patterns of yellow baboons in a human influenced environment.
Diploma in tourism and wildlife studies
The diploma in tourism and wildlife studies courses is a joint programme between Moi University (faculty of forest resources and wildlife management and tourism department) and the wildlife of Kenya (wck).
The course aims at meeting the needs of the middle cadre professionals in the tourism and wildlife sector that is currently no longer offered in Kenya. The tourist sector is one of the most important industries in our country and this is to a large degree driven by our wildlife and other natural resources.
The special features and focus of the course is its emphasis on community oriented programmes and initiatives in wildlife management and tourism.
The production of middle cadre trained and skilled personnel in both tourism and wildlife management has not been addressed in this country.
The wildlife clubs of Kenya is Africa’s leading and founder youth conservation organization. The scholarly expertise of Moi University and the practical experience of wildlife clubs of Kenya have joined in the development of this course.
- To provide students with appropriate knowledge and skills in both tourism and wildlife management for participating and advising in all matters of wildlife and tourism conservation and management.
- To equip students with knowledge and skills in bushcraft and survival techniques.
- To provide knowledge and skills in the management of tourism and wildlife enterprises in order to promote entrepreneurship.
- To develop theoretical and practical skills necessary to conduct tourism and wildlife research, extension and to develop their careers.
- To acquire, interpret and apply policies and laws for the wildlife and tourism management, conservation and utilization of wildlife enterprises and other related natural resources for community development.
- To qualify and prepare the students for entry into a range of wildlife and tourism careers where their diverse knowledge is applicable.
- To provide students with skills in managing human, financial, and capital resources in conservation and tourism areas.
- To provide opportunities for career development in the wildlife and tourism sector.
For admission to the diploma course the student should have completed one year certificate course in tour guiding at wildlife clubs of Kenya, centre for tourism training & research
To pursue a certificate course the student must have obtained a principal pass in either history or geography and /or with a minimum of “O” level pass with a C plain, good passes in English, Kiswahili, geography, history, mathematics and biology and have an interest in conservation.
The course will take two years.
Successful completion of the first year will result in the award of a certificate in tour guiding. Students proceed on attachment during the last three months. Students whose results have been graded “Good” may proceed for the second year to complete the diploma.
During the second year, the course gradually builds both on theoretical knowledge and practical skills in tourism and wildlife management. This now prepares our students to joining Moi University for further training.
Wildlife Clubs of Kenya
P.O Box 20184 00200, Nairobi, Kenya
Langata road, next to Bomas of Kenya
Mobile: (+254) 724656667
Kisumu Region Contact:
Mobile: 0721-263 797
Kitui Region Contacts
WCK – Kitui Regional Office
P.O. Box 1293 Kitui
Office line: 0711 76 01 59 or 0722 97 55 23
Contact person Maryam Jenneby
Coast Environmental Education Centre
P.O. BOX 80591-80100 MOMBASA
Wildlife Clubs of Kenya – Nakuru
Lake Nakuru Environmental Education centre
P O BOX 33 20100 Nakuru
Tel: +254 – 0202671555/6 Hostels)
+254 – 0202671742 (GUEST HOUSE)