Reference Number: SHS20170420
Category: Facilities and Maintenance
JOB PURPOSE:Responsible for ensuring that the Programme facilities including public areas are well maintained with cleanliness and hygiene standards consistently met and costs effectively managed.
- Transport and Facilities Manager
- Housekeeping Attendants
- Housekeeping Supervisors
- Outsourced public area attendants
BUDGET AND RESOURCE RESPONSIBILITY:
- Cleaning equipment e.g. detergents, mops etc.
- Crockery and cutlery
- Kitchen equipment e.g. cooking burners, fridges etc
- In liaison with the Transport and Facilities Manager identify all housekeeping needs and prepare budgets and work plans to meet the needs of the Programme.
- In liaison with the Transport and Facilities Manager develop SOPs and cleanliness/hygiene standards and ensure these are implemented and adhered to at all times.
- Organise and oversee the daily janitorial and housekeeping services provided to assigned areas including preparing duty rotas, allocating duties and ensuring that duties, staff and teams are adequately rotated to promote multi-tasking and team work.
- Retain custody of master keys and ensure all opening and closing procedures are undertaken including opening and locking up of all areas and signing of muster rolls and hand over books before sign off at the end of the day.
- Maintain the annual leave plans for the team ensuring all staff take their leave as required and that alternative arrangements have been made for staff proceeding on leave, off days or on sick offs.
- Ensure hospitality services are provided as required including ensuring that water filters are clean, hot water is available all day and seminar rooms are arranged for meetings and interviews and requisitions for tea, coffee, sugar, biscuits are completed in time.
- Hold morning briefs with Housekeeping Supervisors to address any problems or complaints and document actions taken; hold monthly team meetings with the team to discuss work plans and schedules, identify and resolve any issues and share experiences.
- To provide the requisite equipment and materials including detergents, disinfectants, toilet tissue, hand towels etc. by raising requisitions on a timely basis, monitoring use to avoid waste and loss and managing costs through the use of control measures.
- Carry out regular inspections of facilities and public areas to ensure that cleanliness and hygiene standards are continuously met.
- Ensure that toilet tissues, hand towels and soap is provided in all bathrooms, review daily checklists and compile reports from the bathroom daily sheets on usage of materials and breakages.
- Ensuring security of the cleaners sub store and safe custody of housekeeping equipment and products.
- Document breakages, losses, repairs requested for and keep track of action taken and liaise with the Maintenance department to ensure all repairs are undertaken on a timely basis as required.
- In Liaison with the Human Resources Department, assist in coordinating in-house training for the housekeeping staff on SOPs, set standards, departmental policies and on the use and management of equipment and material.
- Supervise staff including recruiting staff, orientation/ induction of new staff, scheduling work rotas, managing grievances and disciplinary issues, monitoring the execution of tasks, appraising staff etc.
- Prepare and submit reports as and when required.
- A diploma in housekeeping, hospitality or equivalent
- At least 3 years housekeeping experience at a supervisory level
- Experience in record keeping and basic report writing
- Knowledge of basic hygiene and cleanliness standards
- Computer literate with proficiency and experience in using email applications and Microsoft applications such as Word and Excel
- Strong supervisory and team working skills
- Good planning and organisational ability
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Proactive and initiative in resolution of problems
- Good interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written)
- Flexibility, attentive to detail and ability to handle demanding schedules/tasks
- Required to regularly move around the campus/ program facilities
- Regular use and exposure to household detergents